Ravings of a Book Junkie

An avid reader, if books were sustenance I'd be fat as a hog. I mainly read dark urban fantasies, but like to mix things up book-wise, just never enough time to read all the books I want to read!

Heart-Shaped Box: A Novel

Heart-Shaped Box - Joe Hill A compelling horror novel about a retired heavy metal musician whose taste for the macabre gets him in trouble. An online ad says "I will sell my step-father's ghost to the highest bidder ..." and Judas Coyne, intrigued, makes the final bid sealing his ownership of a dead man's suit. Soon weird, scary things are going on in the house: rooms are freezing cold, there's a ghostly figure sitting in the hall and the dogs are barking their heads off. He discovers the ghost has a connection to him, through one of the young women he dated then sent away. A troubled woman who her sister says killed herself. Lots of great, spooky mayhem ensues and the misogynistic anti-hero Coyne develops into a decent guy right before our eyes and saves the day, too. A terrific debut for Joe Hill, I definitely recommend this and will be looking forward to his future works.