Ravings of a Book Junkie

An avid reader, if books were sustenance I'd be fat as a hog. I mainly read dark urban fantasies, but like to mix things up book-wise, just never enough time to read all the books I want to read!

Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson)

Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson) - Patricia Briggs The darkest book of the series, thus far, it touches on some difficult themes: i.e. rape and child molestation. Though Ms. Briggs handles both with sensitivity and compassion, Mercy goes through a very traumatic assault, one so brutal that her quick emotional recovery seems implausible. But, maybe it's just me. This is the same Mercy that's been on her own since 16, who never fails to bravely take on supernatural enemies twice her size. My favorite part is the support and love she receives from the pack, the scenes where they're all piled up in the bed like a litter of pups was very touching to me. That, and seeing the characters of Ben and Honey get more fleshed out. Ben's past behavior gets explained during a wrenching scene. Overall, Mercy is growing as a walker and is figuring out what she wants from both life and love. And though it takes til the last page, she finally makes her choice between Sam & Adam!!