Ravings of a Book Junkie

An avid reader, if books were sustenance I'd be fat as a hog. I mainly read dark urban fantasies, but like to mix things up book-wise, just never enough time to read all the books I want to read!

Duma Key: A Novel

Duma Key - Stephen King DK took me a wile to warm up to but once I did I didn't want to stop reading it. The painting's done by EF sounded so realistic and eerily beautiful it made me wonder if Mr. King wasn't a talented painter as well as a writer, it wouldn't surprise me, the man has it in spades. It had been several years since I'd picked up a King novel and I was primarily drawn to this one because I am a native Floridian who has lived in the Keys a time or two. Sk's depiction of the beauty and mystery of that area brought back memories for me. The friendships between the two men and the elderly Elizabeth was my favorite part of the book though, their love and willingness to care for her though they had no blood ties to her touched me very much. I only wished the ending battle hadn't brought so many losses, but I'm a sucker hat way, always hopeful for the happy ending where only the bad guy/gal gets their ass kicked. Anyway, I highly recommend this book if you've got the time for a leisurely and memorable read, be prepared to be spooked, stunned and ultimately impressed as well as wanting to buy beautiful paintings that only exist in the mind of this master writer.