Ravings of a Book Junkie

An avid reader, if books were sustenance I'd be fat as a hog. I mainly read dark urban fantasies, but like to mix things up book-wise, just never enough time to read all the books I want to read!

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson)

Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) - Patricia Briggs The 1st in the Mercy Thompson series. Mercy is a shape-changer, a magical creature from Native American lore, she can slip from her human form in which she works as a VW mechanic, to her animal form: a coyote. In her community, in north Washington-state, she's only one of several types of supernatural beings and though some have come out publicly, not everybody is happy with it. Mercy becomes embroiled within the warring factions of the Aspen Creek and Columbine Basin werewolf packs when she finds the body of a dead werewolf friend on her front doorstep. There's also a romantic dilemma involving her, her hardheaded neighbor, Adam, the alpha of the CB pack, and Samuel, Mercy's long-ago teenage crush who she encounters when she returns to Aspen Creek to ask the Marrok for help. Very engrossing book, the pack dynamics are interesting and it's nerve-wracking (exciting) reading about the clash of alpha males over Mercy who is not certain she's ready to be anyone's mate or girlfriend.