Ravings of a Book Junkie

An avid reader, if books were sustenance I'd be fat as a hog. I mainly read dark urban fantasies, but like to mix things up book-wise, just never enough time to read all the books I want to read!

A Dirty Job: A Novel

A Dirty Job - Christopher Moore This wasn't as good as the previous Moore book (Lamb: the gospel according to Biff) I read, but it had its good points. In this, Charlie Asher loses his wife, gains a newborn daughter and becomes a Death Merchant, all on the same day. As the years go by, Charlie, collects soul vessels and keeps them in his San Francisco pawnshop, Asher's Second-hand Items & Apparel, where he works with quirky misfits, Lily & Ray, and sells them (souls are contained in various riff-raff, such as a ceramic frog or Converse tennis shoes) to the appropriate soul-lacking customers (turns out we're not all born with souls). As the years go by Asher see signs that the minions of the Underworld, they live beneath the streets in the sewer tunnels, are gathering more powers and knows someday (this from the instruction manual he got in the mail) the Luminatis will have to fight them. Charlie's convinced he is the Luminatis, else why else did the hulking Hellhounds show up in his apartment? This and other wacky happenings make the last half of this book an enjoyable read. Grade: C+