Ravings of a Book Junkie

An avid reader, if books were sustenance I'd be fat as a hog. I mainly read dark urban fantasies, but like to mix things up book-wise, just never enough time to read all the books I want to read!

Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 9)

Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 9) - J.R. Ward Just finished this book last night and while I was entertained by the book overall, I was not enamored by Payne & Manny's romance, it was just so mild. Annnnnnd, I sincerely hope Ms. Ward will stop unnecessarily elongating words like and and such, as it is only a distraction from the story for me, personally. Anyway, back to the story, this book unlike the others doesn't focus on one warrior and the Lesser war, but instead we're given greater insights into Vishous's battle with his inner demons and how it affects his relationships with Butch & Jane, and to that end, there's a powerful and touching scene in this book that I will never forget. Lover Unleashed reveals a new character, Xcor, a vampire from the old country, and his loyal band of followers who also battle lessers but are not aligned with the Brotherhood and who say they want to take Wrath's throne from him. Though I don't want to see that happen it's hard not to like this group, they're good to women in the book and they kill lessers, that's a win-win with me. We're also get treated to more Quinn & Blay in the book and get a glimpse of what their future might be like, and all I'll say is it's a doozy. So, though I was disappointed in Payne's bland personality and romance the rest of Lover Unleashed, for me, did not disappoint and was more entertaining than not, I'm glad to say and I'm still excitedly looking to read more of this series! Grade: B+