Ravings of a Book Junkie

An avid reader, if books were sustenance I'd be fat as a hog. I mainly read dark urban fantasies, but like to mix things up book-wise, just never enough time to read all the books I want to read!

The Monstrumologist

The Monstrumologist - Rick Yancey Rick Yancey has a lyrical gift of language that, for me, made this book truly a pleasure to read. And I don't think I'll get the phrase "Snap to, Will Henry! Snap to!" out of my head anytime soon. As to the story, it a mix of boyish adventure, tragedy and Gothic horror. Only our monster isn't a vampire but a creature called a "Anthropophagi," a headless creature with eyes on their shoulders and a mouth full of shark-like teeth. Our narrator is Will Henry, a twelve year old orphan who is apprenticed to and lives with the "monstrumologist." Dr. Pellinore Warthrop, a man obsessed with his work and as stuffy as his name. Right from the start we're shown that monsters are real with a midnight call from a shaken grave robber who has an unusual body in tow. The book's pacing stays fresh and enjoyable like this through out and even when it slows to let you learn more about Will and the doctor - it remains engaging and almost impossible to put down. Grade: A+