Ravings of a Book Junkie

An avid reader, if books were sustenance I'd be fat as a hog. I mainly read dark urban fantasies, but like to mix things up book-wise, just never enough time to read all the books I want to read!

A Northern Light

A Northern Light - Jennifer Donnelly This is my first time reading a work by this book's author. Her voice reminded me of Mark Twain with its authentic characters and vivid details of life in 1906 upstate NY and what a struggle daily life was for the permanent residents. The town (name escapes this second) is the summer destination for the rich and privileged whereas the community's people are dirt poor and struggle to make ends meet working long hard hours for only a few dollars a week. Our main character is Mattie, a 16/17yo girl with dreams of going to college and becoming a writer. This story made me laugh out loud in parts and chew my lip in worry in others. As I got to know Mattie and her family, I was reminded of how easily things can change in our lives. One moment we're looking out at a bright promising future and in the next it's all over. This book reminds us that you have to grab life's opportunities and run with them. Even if sometimes that means disappointing a loved one. This a wonderfully written book with memorable and engaging characters, a murder mystery, and gives us modern women a glimpse into what our great grandmothers lives were like, what a debt we owe them!