Ravings of a Book Junkie

An avid reader, if books were sustenance I'd be fat as a hog. I mainly read dark urban fantasies, but like to mix things up book-wise, just never enough time to read all the books I want to read!

The Bonesetter's Daughter: A Novel (Ballantine Reader's Circle)

The Bonesetter's Daughter - Amy Tan I found this book an interesting peek into Chinese culture and how challenging, frustrating and rewarding it can be being the child of an immigrant. In this, Ruth Young has spent all her life trying to understand her mother, LuLing, who tends to constantly criticize and worry when she's not talking to the ghost of "Precious Auntie." Ruth's fears that she'll never understand LuLing are further amplified when her mother starts exhibiting signs of dementia. Amy Tan captures beautifully the "Old World" in LuLing's diary and are given a look into the complexities of Chinese society and calligraphy as well. But, at its heart, this book is simply about mothers and daughters, sisters and friends - how we love each other, how we hurt each other, and yet still make our way back to each other again. Grade: B+